Monday, September 13, 2010

shalom




Far Left...Below me are remnants of the oldest man-made structure in the world, dating back to 7000 BCE. This tower was excavated in Jericho, the oldest city in the world and one of the lowest cities in the world. Just around the corner from the tower were remnants from the Wall that fell as the Israelites marched around the city of Jericho seven times. (Joshua 6:12-16, 20)

Above Left...Pool of Bethesda. This is where Jesus blessed the lame man as he entered the pool. (John 5:2)

Direct Left...The line to enter into the supposed Garden Tomb. I really enjoyed the Garden Tomb and Golgotha. Our tour guide, retired baptist pastor from Tennessee kept telling us to "Listen to your heart," as your heart would tell you if this indeed was the spot. I love how unifying the events in the Bible are to Baptists, Jews, Muslims, Mormons, etc. Everywhere we go we hear and see different faiths celebrating Jesus the way they know best and it is beautiful. If anything, I think the thing I have felt and noticed most about living in the Holy Land with various faiths and cultures is how much God loves all of His children and recognizes their various forms of worship and dedication.

Left...Mediterranean Sea day at Tel Aviv. Not really sure what is going on in this picture with Katie Backus and I but it was so nice to have a day at sea. The sacred and educational sites have been incredible, but spending all day in the sun and sand was bliss.

Bottom Left...This is was taken at the Wadi Qelt lookout. These hills make the road from Jerusalem to Jericho. The Western Wall (picts to come later) and this point are two of my favorite sites so far. We sat atop the lookout and discussed the story of the Good Samaritan (occurred somewhere there). It was a humbling and contemplative day. Our Old Testament teacher, Brother Judd, told us to think about the Savior's trek from Jericho to Jerusalem as He walked these hilly, hot, lonely paths. He knew what the last week of His life would entail and I can only imagine the thoughts running through His head as He walked the lengthy trail back to Jerusalem to sacrifice for all mankind. And yes, it is common to see men on camels as represented in the picture.

Bottom Right...James (fellow Jerusalem Center zoobie) and I in front of the Mount of Temptation. (The Gospels, Matthew 4)


7 comments:

  1. I can't imagine being in those places that you've grown up hearing about since Primary and Sunday School. It's amazing, Lis! Post more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shalom. I am afraid if you get any more spiritual you will just get translated and I won't see you anymore. I really like how you like and respect all of the religions, and the parable about the Samaritan is my favoirite.\

    Love

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of agree with Dad. I love hearing about each of the places you're visiting. Good explanations. And I like that you put the scripture references up....that will be nice for your own future reference as well. Request...please tell what a "normal" day is like. Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa I just discovered your blog and I LOVE hearing about your experiences in Jerusalem! I agree with Ali, tell us about what you do every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous that you are seeing so much of what I am teaching about this year. I know you are appreciating it and I'm so glad you are blogging so we can share in it with you.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa...these are such cool blog posts. Wow you are really experiencing the scriptures and learning so much first hand. How neat to see the sacred tomb of the Resurrection. I can't imagine the spirit there. It seems like you are in a whole other world. Love and miss you. Keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete