Friday, September 3, 2010

Here and Happy

Jerusalem is indeed a Holy Land. All I want is to linger after each meal outside the Oasis cafeteria and look over the city. My Mom used to always say you could feel the spirit thicker than the humidity in Nauvoo, and I'd like to say the same is true in Jerusalem...except not so much humid- just hot.I am loving the Center and the people here. It's great to be in a place where everything is impeccably organized, with an experienced and accredited staff. The Center itself is beautiful. I love the domed windows on every floor, allowing sights of the city around each corner. I also love the music made within these walls. The organ and hymns are played and sung with such enthusiasm, creating a spiritually inviting atmosphere. The song of the righteous really is a prayer unto God.
I felt apprehensive before coming to Jerusalem. Several concerns created knots in my stomach and I often questioned whether attending the JC this Fall was right for me. I felt better about coming as the departure date neared but now that I am here, literally every fear I possessed has disappeared. The power of prayer is real and I know Heavenly Father knows the desires of my heart and has shown me His love as I have recognized the peace of mind and heart here.

It is great to be here in the Fall. The month of Ramadan is coming to an end and I have enjoyed learning about the holiday. We have many Muslim employees here at the Center observing Ramadan and I can only imagine how exhausting it must be to be hauling 80 students' overlystuffed suticases up five flights of stairs while completely malnourished andddddd preparing dozens of tuna sandwiches while they are fasting. The streets are less occupied because many of the merchants refrain from selling food during the day. We hear more prayers and singing than the usual five times a day prayer call as they are dedicating themselves all day. Ramadan is a beautiful concept. I wish we could go out in the city tonight, but because it is the last Friday night of Ramadan the streets are too crowded with Muslim celebrations and thus too dangerous for the students.

First day of school pict...

8 comments:

  1. Oh so funners Lisa. I can't wait to read more about your trip. Can you figure out how to make the pictures big when you click on them please? If you're doing it Windows Live Writer, I can tell you how to do it, but if you're just posting on the blog itself I don't know, but I'd love to see the pics big. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lis! So glad you made it safe and are loving it so far. I'm excited to hear more about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAYAYA!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you and so excited about this blog. You are a very good writer. I don't remember mom ever saying that quote about the spirit and humidity but I like it :)

    We are loving Sawyer and excited for you to meet him but happy you are having your own adventures. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa I don't even know where to begin. You expressed yourself so well. I am going to stalk this blog, I am so excited about it. I KNEW YOU WOULD LOVE IT THERE, so I'll just say I TOLD YOU SO now and get it over with. Sometime you'll have to tell me about all your fears, I had no idea you were in such turmoil about going to byu jeru. Question, did my jeweled ball necklace get to go to Jerusalem also?
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa ...

    So glad that you got there safe and are happy. I really like your open-mindedness and acceptance. Have a great adventure and don't worry about anything else. Write often ... it is fun for us to hear what you are doing.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY. I did a journal entry about you last night and was so sad you werent there with me for journal time. But I did get a nice little peak into what I'm sure your journal entries have sounded like. I love you Honeybee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lookin' good Hollywood! Miss and love you. Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures! I'm so happy you are there and I'm so happy you are blogging about it. I wish I could see everything you are seeing. I love you so much and am SO impressed with you every day.

    ReplyDelete