Sunday, October 3, 2010

Egypt

Egypt is straight up crazy. That really is the only word I can use to describe it. The people, the history, the tombs and mummies, the pyramids, the animals, the driving, the markets ... crazy. But so great.

We spent half our time Cairo and the other in Luxor. We had a Muslim tour guide for a week who we called "Brother Toot." He named our group "Tut," after King Tutankhamen but his thick Egyptian accent made it sound like he was saying, "Toot" every time he called for us to meet back at the bus after wandering around a certain site or whatnot. Call me immature but whenever he squealed, "Toot! Hurry up you lazy toots," I couldn't help but giggle like a little schoolgirl. Honestly he was one of my favorite parts of the trip. He was hilarious, knew the sites so well, and even stood up for us when a security guard tried canceling a minor dance party we started in front of the Funerary Temple of Hatshepsut. (pict below is us prepping to get our groove on)

But perhaps what influenced me most after interacting with him was getting one step closer to understanding not just the Arab culture and Islamic religion but other peoples as well. The more you learn about one kin the better you can understand another. Hearing him explain his specific ways of worship really impressed me. I am so intrigued as I learn about different faiths how similar we all are. Such minute differences in religion yet so much tension from one neighborhood to the next. And it is as simple as that. For the most part, East Jerusalem = Muslim Palestinian Arabs. West Jerusalem = Jewish Israelis. And somewhere in the middle are Christians and the "Mormon University." There have only been a couple of riots since I have been here- nothing worrisome but noteworthy nonetheless. I am so grateful for the security at the Center. I honestly have never felt so safe in my life because they take such good care of us here.

But anyway, Eleven Egypt Essentials...

1. The Great Giza Pyramids. 'Nough said.

2. Frolicking in Sand Dunes near Kibbutz Keturah. A kibbutz is a Jewish community where they basically live a modern version of the law of consecration. Again- crazy! We had a devotional/testimony meeting where, not gonna lie, I kinda felt like I was at girls camp but I actually really enjoyed it. Before coming to Jerusalem Didi wrote me a letter and in it explained how, "Revelation comes freely in Jerusalem" and I experienced such personal revelation come to me as I found a barren spot away from the group and had time to just be under the stars amidst the dust and warm breeze. It is moments like this, where I am at peace with nature that I feel my Savior the most. These subtle confirmations reassure me that my decision to have used the Mike Weiler tuition scholarship toward Outdoor Recreation was right for me. Thank you Dad!


3. Hiking Mount Sinai at 3 am. Again, thank you to Papa Wein for introducing me at a young age to value a good hike. Watching the sun rise over the completely deserted cliffs and valleys was humbling to say the least.

4. Transportation. We bussed, cameled, overnight trained, falukahed, motor boated, taxied, airplained, walked, and carriaged. Drivers pay no attention to lanes in the road. Everyone criss- crosses in all directions across the road. Crazy!

5. The Muhammad Ali Mosque and, as I mentioned earlier, hearing Brother Toot expound upon the five pillars of Islam in his life.

6. Karnak Temple. I felt like Luigi put-puttin' around on a motor car chasing Mario through all the crevices of rock and columns and ramps and obliques and arches. It was like a human maze with no beginning or end. Loved it.

7. Waking up to dozens of hot air balloons floating over the Nile. Yep, riding naked in one of these is still on the list.

8. Hieroglyphs everywhere. It's funny how exciting finding a few insignificant scratches in southern Utah left from seemingly influential ancestors is...and then entering the Valley of the Kings where beautifully painted figures and symbols fill entire mountain sides.

9. Just wanted to throw this one in there. I got tired of taking and posing for pictures in front of the same things every five seconds. Eventually we resorted to snapping random shots with Asian tourists unbeknown to them.

10. Market shopping slash walking anywhere in the city. The men on the Egyptian streets loooooove American women and their money…way more than the merchants in Israel. I seriously felt like I was a famous actress promenading down the red carpet because I couldn’t walk two feet without someone jumping in my way saying, “No hassle, beautiful woman, crazy eyes! Ahhh, come, come, no charge for looking! How many cattle for you? Be my habibe? (Arabic for "my love") Ooooh, Shakira!” I was genuinely exhausted after refusing hundreds of sellers through the cramped, hookah infested corridors of the Luxor bazaar. Trust me, this vid is worth watching. This sketch carriage driver was in love with Katie and even gave her a smooch on the cheek while she just happened to be video recording.

11. Mummies of the great Kings at the Egyptian Museum. We weren't allowed to bring cameras in the museum so alas I have no visuals but I'll try to paint you a picture. Think shrunken, raisiny, charcoaled fragile toothpick thin bones for the body and muddy brown stained teeth with distorted facial features topped with Raggedy Ann hair.

Crazy!

11 comments:

  1. #9 made me laugh really hard. I want to be in on these photoshoots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great post. Wow what an amazing experience you are having. I am so happy for you. Are you enjoying your camera? Your pictures are beautiful. By the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEAUTIFUL LOVEABLE LISA.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa ... What great pictures and explanations. You look so good and I am so happy you are having a good time. I will just say that I also want to go on a balloon ride with you but I will keep my clothes on, and I also think you have crazy eyes. Does that make me a sketch Egyption? You seem to have seen much more than I ever did. The pictures from Mt. Sanai were breath-taking. Wish I could have been there.

    Love

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - awesome post. I wish I could have had this experience. How long were you in Egypt? How long did it take to get there with all those modes of transport?

    I like that you named the tour guide Brother Toot - was he LDS? A good tour guide can either make or break your experience.

    What dance did you do? It looked planned like you were lining up for something...not just having a random dance party.

    How many pair of genie pants do you have?

    Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - Shout out the Mike Weiler scholarship program. He's been able to sponser many great experiences and we are all so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool. I can only imagine what it must be like. I love nature too and sitting by yourself in the desert sand under the stars sounds very relaxing and meditative. Your pictures are so great. Sounds like you are just drinking up every bit of this experience. I'm so happy for you. Keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is amazing.

    First of all, I have to tell you: your pics don't blow up when you click on them. Please fix this. I want to see the deets!

    Second, of course you are having dance parties, posing w/ randoms, hiking @ 3AM, having spiritual moments w/ nature, and giggling at Toot. This is what makes you Lisa and this is why I LOVE you. I can just see/hear you giggling at Toot. Wish I was there giggling with you.

    Third, yes, please enlighten us: just how many genie pants does one Jasmine have?

    Fourth, I want to go to Egypt bad.

    Fifth, I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. I am SO grateful you're blogging all this. Wish blogs were around during my study abroad days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Love the Mike Weiler scholarship for Outdoor Recreation. And pretty much just simply love Mike Weiler.

    2. Love the pictures. I can see Cary Crall in one of them - one of your friends bought the same shirt he did.

    3. You and I took the same exact picture at the Karnak Temple crossing our arms by the mummies.

    4. Simply love and miss you everyday. Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post...but I want another. :) There're just so good!

    ReplyDelete